By Francis O'Gorman
- Opens up for the reader the cultural global within which the Victorian novel was once written and read.
- Crosses conventional disciplinary boundaries.
- Provides clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to varied contexts, akin to type, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislation and biology.
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
This quantity provides clean techniques to vintage Victorian fiction from 1830-1900. Opens up for the reader the cultural global within which the Victorian novel used to be written and browse. Crosses conventional disciplinary barriers. presents clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to diversified contexts, similar to type, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislations and biology.
Renowned fiction in mid-Victorian Britain used to be considered as either female and diseased. severe articles of the time on fiction and at the physique and disorder provide convincing proof that examining was once metaphorically allied with consuming, contagion and intercourse. apprehensive critics traced the an infection of the imperial, fit physique of masculine elite tradition by means of 'diseased' well known fiction, particularly novels by way of ladies.
The yank and British poets of the Victorian interval balanced culture and innovation, paving the way in which for the stylistic departures of modernism. The poets featured during this identify contain Alfred, Lord Tennyson; Elizabeth Barrett Browning; Robert Browning; Rudyard Kipling; Christina Rossetti; Gerard Manley Hopkins; and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Examensarbeit aus dem Jahr 2013 im Fachbereich Englisch - Literatur, Werke, Universität Paderborn (Institut für Anglisik/Amerikanistik), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: ‘When the empty bottles ran brief, there have been labels to be pasted on complete ones, or corks to be suited for them, or seals to be positioned upon the corks, or complete bottles to be packed in casks.
- First-Person Anonymous: Women Writers and Victorian Print Media, 1830–1870 (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- The Novelty of Newspapers: Victorian Fiction After the Invention of the News
- When is a Man a Man?: Masculinities in Crisis in Victorian Women's Writing
- Pets and Domesticity in Victorian Literature and Culture: Animality, Queer Relations, and the Victorian Family (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
Extra info for A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)